Saturday, December 29, 2007

I Luv Me Some Martha Walsh and Blackbox


RockYou FXText - Get Your Own






Black Box (later Blackbox) was an Italo-house music group popular in the late 1980s and early 1990s, best known for their hit "Ride on Time". The members of the group included a trio made up of a club DJ (Daniele Davoli), a classically trained clarinet teacher (Valerio Semplici) and a keyboard and electronic music "wiz" (Mirko Limoni.) In 1989, the trio teamed up with singer/model Catherine Quinol (AKA Katrin) and formed Black Box. By early 1990, Martha Wash was engaged to perform vocals on a number of tracks which, Ms. Wash was apparently told, were ostensibly for club consumption and weren't for mass-release. One would be "Everybody, Everybody," which would become one of their two top ten hits in North America. Controversy reigned when it was realized that the single had sampled the voice of singer Loleatta Holloway from the "Love Sensation" single she made with Dan Hartman in the late 70s. An agreement was eventually worked out with Salsoul (who owned the rights) as both companies benefited from 800,000 UK sales. The Groove Groove Melody team were also behind the production of Starlight's "Numero Uno" and Mixmaster, The's "Grand Piano", another prime example of "Italo-house", and another crossover hit. Under seven or more pseudonyms, they turned out numerous further records. However, as Black Box, their hits included "I Don't Know Anybody Else", "Everybody Everybody" (the last of the "Ride On Time" trilogy), "Strike It Up", and "Fantasy", a revamp of the Earth, Wind And Fire hit, all of which featured an uncredited Martha Wash on vocals and broke them into the US market.





Subsequent releases, as well as the album tracks, also featured a then-uncredited Martha Wash as vocalist. Quinol lip synched the vocals in "live" performances and in music videos. Martha Wash sued Black Box, RCA and then C&C Music Factory for performing vocals on their respective songs and not receiving due credit. These legal actions lead to the legal recognition of vocalists who perform songs for other artists, including samplings. Wash received full vocal credit on "Strike It Up" but still featured Quinol lip synching in the music video. Man, I feel for Martha - that was soo Milli Vanilli, so uncool. Martha Walsh is the real Superstar here. I don't care what she looks like - I wouldn't sleep with her anyway - it's the singing that counts. With the rise of Mo'nique, Queen Latifah, Reuben Studdard and Jennifer Hudson, talented plus-sized artists are getting the star treatment they deserve. Let's hope this positive trend continues.








Black Box
"Everybody everybody (le freak mix)"


You won't belong to me, I let you down
I walk around'n' see your night skyline
I feel the light but you don't want to stay
So lonely now, just let me off downtown

Sad and free

When I said it was over you aimed at my heart
Won't be long for I'm leavin' all my love
But I'll feel it forever, no sound's in my life
You can call that no livin', on my own so free

Everybody, everybody
Everybody, everybody
Everybody, everybody...

You took me easy and then let me go
I never was, you see, that cheatin' kind
You feel all right, you never looker for me
So, it's time, I've gotta get on by





Black Box
"Strike it up (original remix)"



Strike it up, this band is gonna play my tune
Strike it up, I wanna I wanna tell you so
Strike it up, nobody's gonna stop my sound
Strike it up, you know how lonely one can feel

Waiting on my feeling, yeah yeah

Strike it up, your band is tapping on my skin
Strike it up, and keep me and keep me standing on
Strike it up, nobody's gonna let you down
Strike it up, you know how lovely one can be






Black Box
"I don't know anybody else (funky mix)"


Tell me what you want and nothing more...

I don't know anybody else

I'll tell you what I know so well
Your love is standing tall and swell
Why! Come on out and hear him say
Gonna get you now! Gonna get to you!
We're livin' by this inspiration

Come on, baby, come on!
You 'n' nobody else
Come on, baby, come on !
Just walk this way
Come on, baby, come on !
You 'n' nobody else
I wanna take you ! So close to you !

Just gotta touch me, touch me

Can't you say it to my eyes, to my face ?
There's no need to wait
Gonna get you now ! Gonna get to you !
We're livin' by this inspiration

No comments: